Sunday, March 10, 2013

Upstairs to Arnold Roth

The Harvey Kurtzman exhibit at the Society of Illustrators. 
After indulging my eyes in two floors of artwork from Harvey Kurtzman and his colleagues at the Society of Illustrators in Manhattan, I was about to leave when I noticed artwork by other artists leading up the stairs.  I'm here, why not?  I thought.  At the top of the stairs I was pleasantly surprised to see the hallway lined with Arnold Roth's work from magazines such as Punch, The New Yorker, and Playboy.  As one of Kurtzman's contemporaries, and a partner in Humbug, it was only fitting to have Roth's work represented as well.  The only artist missing from the mix was Al Jaffee.


I retrieved my trusty iPhone to take a few pictures to share with you, reflections and all.  They don't do the artwork justice, but give you an idea of what you're missing.   I'm stilled buzzed about my visit to the Society of Illustrators, like they put this show up just for me.  And as I said in yesterday's post, seeing them in person makes how much is lost in printing quite evident.   So treat yourself to a trip to the Society of Illustrators.
-Steve









No comments:

Post a Comment