Monday, March 25, 2013

A London Bed Party

Everyone in London lives like this
"Don't you miss living in Los Angeles?" is a question I get asked all the time, especially in London in March, when it's still snowing after 6 months of cold and rain. Well...who wouldn't? I mean, at this time of year I could be spending the day at the beach in Malibu, not freezing to death in a drafty Victorian terrace in Shepherd's Bush.

But then, you can't live everywhere. For all that it drives me crazy, I love London. And now and again I get invited to bizarre events that (sort of) justify all the trouble and hassle of living in one of the world's most expensive and over-crowded cities.

And so it was that last week I went to a bed party. Savoir beds have launched a new bed, a royal state bed no less, costing a king's ransom and featuring hand stitched draperies and everything else that the modern wanna-be monarch could possibly need.
Like Downton Abbey, sort of.
The whole thing was a bit ridiculous. Who needs a £15,000 bed? Well, Savoir Beds have the answer - you spend a third of your life in it - much more time than you spend in your car - so why not make sure it's nice? Ok - that is a fair point, but still.

Actually, I hope they sell lots. They seem like really nice people and they threw a great party. I got to meet Michael Caton-Jones, the director of Memphis Belle and Scandal, who seemed as perplexed as everyone else about the whole bed thing.

Michael Caton-Jones. - with The Bed.
So there you have it. London may be cold, wet, rainy, expensive, overcrowded, in permanent recession and with a movie business ever on the edge of extinction - but we still make great beds.

---Alex


No comments:

Post a Comment